Co-authored by Jean Tsang & David Gregory
John Downs provided weather annotations in his diary. Two entries from 1763 included:
December 25-“Christ born Clear but cold Serene air”
December 26-“Snow last night and rain and snow and high winds today”
In 1802 Captain Samuel Sanford was ”crushed to death by a log in adding to roll it onto the saw mill, near the meetinghouse.”
On November 1, 1913 Naugatuck Junction, a railroad station in western Milford, was renamed Devon. In 1914 Devon began to prosper by providing housing for workers from industrial Bridgeport.
For more information visit www.milfordct375.org or email:[email protected].
photo courtesy of David Gregory